Home » , , , , » Musings Monday | Why It's Great Being A Fashion Blogger Over 40

Musings Monday | Why It's Great Being A Fashion Blogger Over 40

Written By Unknown on Monday 13 January 2014 | 07:00

Why It's Great Being A 40+ Blogger
Fashion bloggers over 40... This may be a surprise to some, but it's actually great blogging in your forties (and, I should imagine, in your fifties, and sixties). If I were able to choose between starting a blog in my twenties or in my forties - the latter would win hands down every time. I'm going to explain why blogging isn't just a 20-something's game, and how you can put those years of experience into good use and also learn some amazing things - we never want to stop learning, do we...?

In recent years the number of amazing older women starting fashion and style blogs has simply exploded. And yet I still hear women of my age (41) and older saying they'd love to start a blog but it really isn't the sort of thing to do at their age (whether they're also thinking I shouldn't really be doing it I don't know - or care). What they're not realising is that there are so many advantages to blogging in your maturer years over doing it in your teens or twenties - and this makes us unique amongst the huge numbers of 20-somethings.

I've been blogging for two and a half years now, and have been lucky enough to work towards, and achieve, my goal of becoming a full-time blogger. So after writing 549 posts - this is the 550th - I've realised I'm glad I'm blogging in my forties and not at a younger age. This is why...


  • I have a stylist that I've been working with for over 25 years... Me.
  • When you're young, you think that when you get to 40 you'll be an old lady. When you actually get to 40 and feel 20 years younger, it's pretty cool when you realise you're not the old lady you thought you'd be after all. You appreciate yourself more.
  • You can reminisce about current trends that you remember wearing first time around - for example: tartan. Tartan was big in the 90s. I remember wearing a pair of tartan trousers I bought in 1994, I wore them with a black polo neck sweater...
  • Every "new" trend that comes around is usually a re-working of a trend you wore first time. You therefore know in advance whether you can try the trend again - or you know to leave well alone.
  • Being older is a great USP (Unique Selling Point). There are less 40+ bloggers than 20 or even 30-something ones, so I like to advertise the fact that I'm over 40 just for that reason. It makes my blog stand out more.
  • Brands want to work with older bloggers. A large percentage of the collaborations on my blog have been with brands who are looking to target an older audience (who generally have more money to spend).
  • You have more life experience and a more stable view of the world. I've noticed this in the writing of 40+ bloggers - they're more sure of themselves and their opinions.
  • Readers are more intrigued by a 40+ blogger - you stand out amongst the sea of 20-somethings. No one's expecting high fashion, so in effect you have free reign to wear whatever you like.
  • Blogging saved me, sartorially-wise. Taking photos of myself every other day and studying the results on a widescreen monitor has made me realise where I'm going wrong and what I'm doing right; I have no worries about getting older and what I should be wearing as each decade goes by. My blog does that for me.
  • Dressing yourself in your forties is more of a challenge. Getting older makes it more interesting - and certainly more of a challenge - than being 22 and knowing the whole of Topshop is at your disposal.
  • I honestly wouldn't have got the exposure I've had if I'd been 20 years younger. My age is what's made my blog successful; it's what gets people talking. "Fashion bloggers over 40" makes a great topic on blogs and websites with huge readerships, and for that I'm grateful.

For this post I asked some of the top fashion bloggers (who are all over 40 and some over 50) their thoughts on what makes being a 40+ blogger so great. Their answers are spot-on and make perfect sense, and I want to thank them all for taking the time to share their thoughts with me. So if you actually are over 40 and have dismissed the idea of blogging purely on account of your age, after reading what these lovely ladies have to say you may want to think again...

Take it away, girls!
(I added in my own at the end, too)

Annette, Lady Of Style on being a 40+ fashion blogger
Mature women interested in fashion and style are looking for genuine blogs they can relate to. Also brands realise the importance of mature bloggers for their target customers. My initial worries turned out to my advantage and I love our supportive international 40+ community!
- Annette, Lady Of Style

Ann, Blue Hue Wonderland on being a 40+ fashion blogger
Blogging has expanded my view of the world beyond the place where I live. Connecting with women and sharing my style has helped me feel more freedom and confidence as a 40+ woman
- Ann, Blue Hue Wonderland

Susan, Ava Grace's Closet on being a 40+ fashion blogger
I definitely came into my own and was able to truly define my personal style once I hit 40. I know what I like and love sharing those perspectives with other women. Let's face it, we all look halfway decent in our 20's when age is on our side, but at 40, looking good is a true challenge. And I readily accept it. 40+ bloggers are the new black!
- Susan, Ava Grace's Closet

Adrienne, The Rich Life On A Budget on being a 40+ fashion blogger
“I never wanted to be someone who gave up on fashion and style just because of my age. Fashion blogging in my 40s has kept me interested in being stylish and modern and the best part is, I don’t worry about my age as much as I used to when I didn't blog. I have fun with fashion!
- Adrienne, The Rich Life On A Budget

Lisa, Amid Privilege on being a 40+ fashion blogger
“[It's great being a 40+ blogger] precisely because of our 40+ years. We've had time to think, to experiment, to fail brilliantly and succeed. Besides, we've had our hearts broken for real - if people find our boot cuts off-trend, we'll survive
- Lisa, Privilege

Angie, You Look Fab on being a 40+ fashion blogger
There is no one way to be stylish. It is about expressing oneself and enjoying the journey. We created youlookfab.com almost 8 years ago to spread this empowering message. At 43, I'm glad to increase the age diversity of the fashion blogging community, but I also look forward to a day where age is merely a variable and youth isn't viewed as a prerequisite for having fun with fashion and style
- Angie, You Look Fab

Greetje, No Fear Of Fashion on being a 40+ fashion blogger
As my body changes over 40 I had to reassess the way I dress. Blogging showed me how. Better than any mirror could have done
- Greetje, No Fear Of Fashion

Patti, Not Dead Yet Style on being a 40+ fashion blogger
“Blogging at midlife keeps my mind open to fresh style ideas. It helps me stay on my toes, fashion-wise, and connects me to a fabulous community of 40+ women who are brave, wise and stylish
- Patti, Not Dead Yet Style

Sacramento, Mis Papelicos on being a 40+ fashion blogger
Being over 40-50 gives me a wider perspective on life and makes me feel true to myself and the way I live and wear fashion
- Sacramento, Mis Papelicos

Bella, The Citizen Rosebud on being a 40+ fashion blogger
The great thing about being a blogger who is 40+ can be summed up in two words: 'comfort' and 'community'. I'm comfortable in my own skin, I know my tastes, my body and have moved past the pursuit of perfection, and leave that to the 20 somethings. Therefore I can explore nuances of personal style with my readers - who happen to be like me and are comfortable in their skin, too. We share our history, we wear our history, with pleasure and joy, and since we all like ourselves, we offer up a warm, supportive camaraderie; there's no room for catty competition here, just good ol' fashioned 'go team' cheerleading amongst the ranks
- Bella, The Citizen Rosebud

Heather, The Style Confessions on being a 40+ blogger
I love my little fashion blog, and I wish the technology had been around when I was in my 20's, because I have no doubt that I would have been a 20 year old fashion blogger if I could have been. I love fashion and clothing now just as much as I did then, but I have a more sophisticated eye and, I think, more defined taste. Even so, I don't think we should ever stop having fun with fashion, and my fashion blog reminds me to keep experimenting
- Heather, The Style Confessions

Sylvia, 40+ Style on being a 40+ fashion blogger
I love being a blogger doing the work that I love and being over 40 is an added advantage. Not only do I make a lot more sense in my articles due to life experience, I am also more stylish now than in my twenties! An added bonus is the fabulous 40+ community
- Sylvia, 40+ Style

Catherine, Not Dressed As Lamb on being a 40+ blogger
Readers are more intrigued by a 40+ blogger - you stand out amongst the sea of 20-somethings. No one's expecting high fashion, so in effect you have free reign to wear whatever you like
- Catherine, Not Dressed As Lamb

I hope you liked this post and that you take the time to check out these fabulous (and oh-so-wise) ladies. I would love to know if you're not a blogger but have been thinking about starting one... let me know your thoughts in the comments :)

Here's to us oldies - we're a force to be reckoned with!
Catherine x
Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W


Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Support : Copyright © 2013. Fashion Trends - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Fashion Trends
Proudly powered by Blogger